I had been out for a few drinks with my workmate on a Friday night and stepped out on to the road in front of a car. I was knocked down and suffered serious injuries. I don’t think I’ll ever be fit enough to return to my job as a joiner. The car that knocked me down was an old Ford Fiesta. I doubt the man driving it will have much money. Is there any point in me claiming against the driver if he hasn’t much money himself?


It does not matter how wealthy the driver is. There is a legal requirement for every person driving a vehicle on a public road in the UK to have motor insurance. If you make a claim for damages against the driver, your claim will be dealt with by the driver’s insurance company. It will be the insurance company that pays any damages to you. If a driver has no insurance, you are able to direct your claim to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). The MIB was established in the 1940s to compensate victims of negligent uninsured or untraced motorists. The MIB is funded by all UK motor insurers.